Name of the wallet: Blockchain.info
Main currencies of the wallet: BTC, ETH, BCH
Price of the wallet: Free
Blockchain.info wallet was created in 2011. Its headquarters is located in Luxemburg. Nowadays, Blockchain.info is one of the most popular cryptocurrency wallets for storing, sending, and receiving Bitcoin and Ethereum units. In some countries, this wallet also allows users to work with Bitcoin Cash as well. In 2013, it became the most visited website regarding Bitcoin. In 2016, the wallet was updated to increase the level of security.
In general, Blockchain.info is a convenient online cryptocurrency wallet with three levels of security. Some of security measures are obligatory whereas others are optional. Upon request, a user can ask for the maximum protection of their wallet, funds, and transactions.
This wallet is usually used online, but it is also compatible with Android and iOS.
The wallet cooperates with several third parties. Among them are Shapeshift, Wicklow Capital, Digital Currency Group, Nokota, and some others. Such cooperation can be advantageous for users. For instance, due to the Shapeshift company, the direct BTC/ETH exchange in the wallet is possible. However, this option is unavailable in some countries.
- Personal data. Email, address, phone number, password, mobile PIN code, etc.
- Log information. The type of browser, access time, pages viewed, IP address, etc.
- Device information. The model of hardware, operating system, its versions, etc.
- Private keys. The wallet generates and stores an encrypted wallet public key and private key pair via its Services.
- Cookies. The wallet also may utilize cookies, which are small text files stored on the users’ computers. Their purpose is to make the users’ visits to the website of the wallet more convenient.
The wallet uses SSL or Secure Sockets Layer to protect personal data of users by encrypting it.
- 1st Level. The first level includes verification of email, a passphrase that can help to recover the account, and a password reminder.
- 2d Level. The second level includes a 2-step check, which consists of one-time passcode.
- 3d Level. The third level includes Tor, which is an anonymizing tool.
Not all of these security measures are necessary, but it is better to choose the maximum level for better protection.
Apart from the three basic levels of security, there are a few more things necessary to know about the security of the wallet.
- Hierarchical deterministic standard. It means that a wallet uses new addresses for every incoming money operation.
- Multi-signature standard. It means that it is possible to share one wallet for a group of people. In this case, to conduct a transaction, it is necessary to get confirmation from the group.
- The wallet doesn’t store the password of the users and can’t recover their wallets.
- The wallet doesn’t have access to the funds of the users.
Blockchain.info is free. However, the company assumes that in the future, the services of the wallet can become chargeable. For BTC transactions the wallet offers several options of this fee: default, high, and customer. For ETH, there is only a default type of miner’s fee.